December 20, 2023
Ask A Mixologist: Elsa Taylor’s Perfect Winter Cocktail
Elsa Taylor of The Roost in Winnipeg shares the perfect holiday cocktail.
Q: I tried the Figgy Pudding cocktail at The Roost and it tasted like the holidays in a glass. I’d love to have the recipe to recreate it at home! — NORA, Winnipeg
A: Cognac, Amaro Nonino Quintessentia and Angostura bitters mixed with the richness of fig and vanilla bean evoke the flavours of a classic Christmas pudding. “It’s a balance of rich and tart, with a hint of baking spice and a smooth, warm finish,” says Elsa, who created the cocktail. You make your own Salted Vanilla Syrup, which also works in coffee and on desserts.
Yield: 1 cocktail
Make Salted Vanilla Syrup
- Add granulated sugar and water to saucepan, followed by vanilla bean paste and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil while stirring, about 1 to 2 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow syrup to cool.
- Once cooled, pour syrup into container and store in fridge for up to two weeks.
- Measure all ingredients into cocktail shaker.
- Fill with ice and shake well.
- Strain into chilled coupe. Garnish with fanned apple slices. Enjoy!