Big Spanish SaladRecipe By: Eric Vellend
This healthy salad is packed with big flavours. Tip: Use cured meat almost like a condiment to make a vegetable-centric dish feel more satisfying.
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 19-oz. can white kidney beans
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 jarred piquillo peppers, drained
- 1⁄2 lb. washed baby spinach
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, quartered
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 oz. Spanish-style chorizo, sliced
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- In medium bowl, whisk together garlic, Dijon and vinegar. Gradually whisk in olive oil until emulsified.
- Rinse and drain beans. Place in bowl. Pat dry with paper towel. Toss with a little dressing. Season with salt, if necessary, and pepper.
- Pat peppers dry with paper towel. Cut into triangular pieces.
- On large serving platter or 4 dinner plates, make a bed(s) of spinach. Sprinkle with beans. Arrange peppers and eggs over top.
- Heat vegetable oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Drain on paper towel. Arrange over salad. 6. Drizzle salad with dressing or serve in cruet on the side.