Blackberry-Cardamom Shrub Cocktail
Homemade shrub will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1 1/2 oz. gin
1. Clean berries thoroughly and pack into jar. Bash cardamom seeds with back of knife exposing seeds, then add to jar.
2. Heat vinegar in non-reactive pot over medium heat. When edges start to bubble, just before liquid comes to boil, remove from heat. Pour vinegar into jar, covering fruit and seal. Let cool fully.
3. Refrigerate for 24 hours to 7 days. Gently shake jar once a day to mix fruit. Flavour of shrub will mellow over time. Strain through fine sieve and discard solids.
4. Place liquid in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to gentle simmer. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Remove from heat and let cool. Pour into clean jar. Store in fridge until ready to use.
5. To serve as a cocktail, fill 1 rocks glass halfway with ice. Add 1⁄2 cup club soda, then 11⁄2 oz. gin and 1 oz. shrub syrup. Stir gently. Garnish with 1 to 2 fresh blackberries.