August 20, 2019
French Bistro Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Hard-boiled eggs add richness to a salad, launching it into salad-as-a-meal territory. For a slightly runny yolk, a cold-from-the-fridge large egg will be perfect when boiled for about 7 1/2 minutes, then chilled.
Yield: Serves 4
- In small jar or bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and shallots, and let stand for 10 minutes or more while cooking vegetables. Then remove shallot rings and set aside.
- Add mustard and oil, and shake or whisk until emulsified. Add tarragon and season with pepper, to taste.
Boil Potatoes, Beans & Eggs
- In pot of cold salted water, add potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just tender when pierced with fork. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes in half, toss with 3 tablespoons of dressing, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Bring another pot of salted water to a boil. Add beans and boil for 3 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to bowl of ice water.
- Meanwhile, bring small pot of water to a boil. Add eggs and boil for 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and place in ice water.
- Into serving bowl, place green beans and potatoes. Pour remaining dressing over top and toss gently. Halve eggs and add to salad. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper, and top with pickled shallot rings.
House & Home August 2019