French Bistro SaladRecipe By: Eshun Mott
Hard-boiled eggs add richness to a salad, launching it into salad-as-a-meal territory. For a slightly runny yolk, a cold-from-the-fridge large egg will be perfect when boiled for about 7 1/2 minutes, then chilled.
Mustard Tarragon Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 small shallot, cut into thin rings
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. mini red potatoes
- 12 oz. green or yellow beans, stem ends trimmed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- In small jar or bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and shallots, and let stand for 10 minutes or more while cooking vegetables. Then remove shallot rings and set aside.
- Add mustard and oil, and shake or whisk until emulsified. Add tarragon and season with pepper, to taste.
Boil Potatoes, Beans & Eggs
- In pot of cold salted water, add potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just tender when pierced with fork. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes in half, toss with 3 tablespoons of dressing, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Bring another pot of salted water to a boil. Add beans and boil for 3 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to bowl of ice water.
- Meanwhile, bring small pot of water to a boil. Add eggs and boil for 7 to 8 minutes. Drain and place in ice water.
- Into serving bowl, place green beans and potatoes. Pour remaining dressing over top and toss gently. Halve eggs and add to salad. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper, and top with pickled shallot rings.