Panzanella-IshRecipe By: Eshun Mott
This version of the classic salad has a few tricks up its sleeve. Watermelon adds extra sweetness, the grilled bread ups the depth of flavor, and the fish sauce introduces a hit of umami.
- 4 thick slices rustic white Italian bread (yielding 4 cups croutons)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, halved
Bold Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp grated garlic
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb. heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1⁄2 to 1 tsp minced red chili pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp chopped Thai basil
- Heat barbecue to medium-high. Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with oil and grill for 3 minutes per side, or until nicely browned and crisp.
- Remove from heat and rub one side of each slice with cut garlic. Let cool. Tear bread into 1-inch chunks.
- In small jar or bowl, combine oil, vinegar, fish sauce, mustard, sugar and garlic, and shake or whisk until emulsified. Season with pepper, to taste.
- In serving bowl, combine tomato, watermelon, red pepper, cucumber, red onion and chili pepper.
- Add croutons and drizzle with about 1⁄2 cup of dressing. Toss to combine. Add parsley and basil, and adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, or until bread has started to soften and absorb dressing. Add remaining dressing as needed. Serve.