August 20, 2019
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
This version of the classic salad has a few tricks up its sleeve. Watermelon adds extra sweetness, the grilled bread ups the depth of flavor, and the fish sauce introduces a hit of umami.
Yield: Serves 6
- Heat barbecue to medium-high. Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with oil and grill for 3 minutes per side, or until nicely browned and crisp.
- Remove from heat and rub one side of each slice with cut garlic. Let cool. Tear bread into 1-inch chunks.
- In small jar or bowl, combine oil, vinegar, fish sauce, mustard, sugar and garlic, and shake or whisk until emulsified. Season with pepper, to taste.
- In serving bowl, combine tomato, watermelon, red pepper, cucumber, red onion and chili pepper.
- Add croutons and drizzle with about 1⁄2 cup of dressing. Toss to combine. Add parsley and basil, and adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, or until bread has started to soften and absorb dressing. Add remaining dressing as needed. Serve.