August 20, 2019
Toasted Farro With Corn & Summer Squash
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Grain salads don’t have to be dry and boring! Cooked farro is tossed with dressing while warm and topped with chunky, just-sautéed vegetables and toasted nuts, and served on labneh for an especially satisfying salad.
Yield: Serves 4
Roast Hazelnuts & Toast Farro
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place hazelnuts on baking sheet and roast for 12 minutes, or until skins have split and nuts are golden. Rub with clean kitchen towel to remove skins. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- In dry skillet over medium heat, toast farro for 5 minutes, or until it begins to pop and take on color.
- In medium pot of salted water, add farro and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and spread faro out on rimmed baking sheet. Combine 2 tablespoons of oil, all vinegar and honey, and pour over warm farro. Add parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In large frying pan on high heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add zucchini and onion, and sauté for 2 minutes, or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add corn and toss. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Spread a serving plate or individual plates with a swoosh of labneh. Spoon farro over top with vegetables and sprinkle with hazelnuts, mint and Maldon salt.