Freshly Shucked Pea SaladRecipe By: Jackie Kai Ellis
- 1 large shallot
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 cups freshly shucked peas
- 1⁄2 cup pea shoots
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1 preserved lemon, cut in slivers
- 1⁄2 cup fromage blanc or fromage frais
- Maldon salt and cracked pepper to taste
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- Cut shallot into 1⁄8″-thick slices and place in small saucepan with honey and cumin seeds. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until honey begins to caramelize.
- Take pan off heat and whisk in lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside to cool. Dressing can be made up to 1 day in advance and kept refrigerated.
- To serve, place peas, pea shoots, mint and parsley in a bowl or on a plate. Top with preserved lemon, dollops of fromage blanc or frais and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with a touch of Maldon salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.