Shrimp, Spinach & Chickpea Salad With Torn CroutonsRecipe By: Eric Vellend
Tearing the bread rather than cutting it yields crispier croutons with delicate edges. To save time, feel free to use precooked shrimp.
- 1⁄2 cup strained freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. day-old sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. jumbo (21-25 count) shrimp, shells on
- 1⁄2 lb. washed baby spinach leaves
- 1 19 oz.-can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, dried
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 tsp smoked paprika
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- To make dressing, place orange juice in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, watching closely, until reduced to 2 tbsp. Remove from heat. Cool. In lidded glass jar, combine orange juice and rest of ingredients. Shake well. Can be refrigerated up to 1 week.
- To make croutons, preheat oven to 350°F. Tear bread into rough 1″ pieces. (It should yield about 4 cups.) Place in bowl. Drizzle with oil and season. Mix thoroughly. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until brown and crisp, 15 minutes. Cool.
- To cook shrimp, place water, wine, thyme and bay leaf in medium pot over high heat. Season with salt. Boil 2 minutes. Add shrimp. Reduce heat to maintain simmer. Cook until shrimp are just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. Transfer to baking tray to cool. Discard herbs. While still warm, peel and devein shrimp, leaving tail shells intact.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine spinach, chickpeas and tomatoes. Season. Drizzle with some dressing. Toss and transfer to large serving platter or individual plates. Place shrimp in mixing bowl with parsley, smoked paprika and a little dressing. Season. Mix and add to salad. Top with croutons.