Laura Calder’s Beet & Pecan Endive BoatsRecipe By: Laura Calder
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Beets and blue cheese are a perfect match in this hors d’oeuvre, but you can swap out the beets for chopped pears for a new flavor combination.
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 medium beets, scrubbed clean
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 large endives, trimmed
- 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
Directions Yield: Makes approx. 30
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lay pecans on baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Transfer nuts to frying pan over medium heat. Add butter, sugar, paprika, cayenne and salt. Toss until butter and sugar melt, coating nuts with seasoning.
- Remove to paper towel and dry. Chop nuts once cooled.
- Grate beets. Heat oil in frying pan and add beets.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp of water and cook, stirring until beets are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Peel leaves from endives and arrange on serving platter.
- Put spoonful of beets in each leaf, topped by crumbled cheese and chopped pecans.