Laura Calder’s Quick Pumpkin Ice CreamRecipe By: Laura Calder
Total Time: 4 1/2 hours
Prep Time: 20 minutes
After a big feast, I like to keep dessert light. This simple ice cream has all the expected festive flavors without the heaviness of pumpkin pie.
- 1 cup pumpkin or squash purée
- 2 tsp brandy, if desired
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla
- 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch allspice or cloves
Directions Yield: Serves 8
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat. Add pumpkin, brandy and maple syrup. Cook for 5 minutes, or until purée has darkened slightly. Remove from heat and cool fully.
- In large bowl, combine cream, condensed milk, vanilla and spices. Using electric mixer, beat until soft peaks form, 4 to 5 minutes. Fold in the purée mixture with spatula.
- Line loaf pan with plastic wrap. Pour mixture into loaf pan and cover. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Scoop out into bowls and serve with ginger cookies.