August 8, 2023
Lemon Shaker Pie
“Whole lemon slices are marinated in sugar to soften and release their juices, then you mix that with eggs, melted butter and sugar, and bake it until the inside has a lemon bar texture.” – Alison Roman
Yield: Makes 9-inch pie
- Set aside a few lemon slices to put on top of pie. In medium bowl, combine remaining slices with sugar and good pinch of salt. Toss to coat and refrigerate at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove lemons from fridge and whisk in 3 eggs and flour.
- Dust work surface with flour. Roll out each disc of dough to 14″-diam. circle. Lay one into 9” pie plate, letting dough slump into edges, leaving overhang. Pour filling into crust.
- In other dough round, use paring knife to cut in a few vents or simply prick all over with fork. Drape it over pie filling, then, using thumb and forefinger, press top and bottom crusts together to seal. Using tines of a fork, press crusts together onto pie plate, creating even tighter seal. Trim any excessive overhang.
- In small bowl, whisk remaining egg and teaspoon of water together. Brush pie all over with egg wash and arrange reserved lemon slices on top. Sprinkle the whole thing with sugar.
- Bake until crust is deeply golden and evenly browned, 70 to 80 minutes. Let cool at least 2 hours before serving.
Note: For what it’s worth, this is may be one of few pies that’s better at room temperature or even chilled.