Manchego & Butternut Squash PuffsRecipe By: Cory Vitiello
Total Time: 90 minutes
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Butternut Squash Filling
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash, 1″ rough dice
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1⁄2 small white onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 green apple, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs thyme, picked and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup good-quality canned whole tomatoes
- 1 cup canned piquillo peppers or good-quality fire-roasted red peppers
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup whole almonds, blanched and skinned
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp salt
- Pinch crushed chili flakes
- Pinch saffron threads
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- Few grinds fresh black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup grated Manchego cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions Yield: Serves 8 to 10
Make Squash Filling
- Combine all ingredients in medium pot and bring to simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook 1 hour or until all ingredients are very tender. Check occasionally to make sure pot doesn’t boil dry. If too dry, add up to 1⁄4 cup water.
- Drain vegetables, reserving liquid and vegetables separately.
- Place cooked vegetables in blender and purée to smooth. If needed, add up to 3 tbsp cooking liquid, but only enough to help vegetables purée; the mixture should remain thick enough to pipe.
Make Romesco Sauce
- Combine tomatoes, peppers, onions, almonds, vinegar, garlic, salt, chili flakes and saffron in blender. Purée until smooth.
- Stir in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make Cheese Puff Dough
- Fit a piping bag with 1⁄4″-diam. round tip. Set aside.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add water and butter to medium pot over medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and water begins to give off steam, but before mixture comes to boil.
- Add flour and salt all at once and stir with wooden spoon constantly, 2 minutes. Dough will come away from edge of pan and form a ball while flour cooks.
- Remove from heat, and stir 2 more minutes to help cool down slightly.
- While stirring, add 1 egg. Stir vigorously to prevent egg from cooking until incorporated into dough. Repeat with remaining eggs. When mixture is smooth and thick, scrape into piping bag
Assemble And Cook Cheese Puffs
- Dab small amount of dough under each corner of parchment to hold paper in place.
- Pipe small rounds — the size of small cherry tomatoes — onto parchment, about 1″ apart.
- Sprinkle each with pinch of grated Manchego.
- Bake 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake until firm and golden, 20 to 25 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
- Repeat with any remaining dough and cheese.
- Wash out piping bag. Fill with squash filling. Poke small hole into bottom of each pastry and pipe in some squash filling.
- Serve on platter with Romesco Sauce, good-quality green olives and slices of Manchego.