Marinated Lamb Popsicles With Fenugreek Cream Curry
“Wine-marinated lamb popsicles is our signature dish at Vij’s — we would be in trouble if we ever tried to take it off the menu,” says chef and restaurant co-owner Vikram Vij. “We know it’s a big source of comfort to our customers, and a warm hug in the form of familiar foods is such a tonic right now. That’s why I’ve also found myself cooking this dish at home. The great thing about the sauce is that it works with a variety of meats, fish and vegetables, so it can turn anything into a luxurious, creamy, decadent curry.”
Yield: Serves 6
- In large bowl, combine wine, mustard, salt and pepper. Add lamb, and coat well with marinade. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
Make Curry Sauce
- In large bowl, combine cream, salt, paprika, cayenne, fenugreek leaves and lemon juice.
- In medium pot on medium heat, heat 3 to 4 tbsp of oil and sauté garlic, until golden. Stir in turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Stir in cream mixture and cook on low to medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it’s gently boiling.
Grill Lamb and Serve
- Preheat stovetop cast-iron grill or barbecue to high heat. Place lamb on grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve popsicles piping hot off grill. Place four to five lamb chops on each plate. Pour cream curry over meat, or ladle it into small bowl and use as dipping sauce for popsicles.
House & Home January/February 2021