Pecan Pie SundaesRecipe By: Eric Vellend
This genius Pecan Pie Sundae idea comes from Buttermilk Channel restaurant in Brooklyn, N.Y. Follow these quick and easy instructions and whip together the best ice cream explosion yet.
- 11⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus more for rolling
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening, cold
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup golden corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 11⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 L vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whipping (35%) cream, whipped
Directions Yield: Serves 8
- To make crust, combine all ingredients except water in a bowl. Mix with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea-size pieces of butter. Gradually stir in water with fork. When mixture starts clumping, form dough with hands. Roll into a ball and flatten into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- On floured surface, roll dough into 13″-diam. circle. Press into 9″ pie plate, trim excess and crimp edges. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. To make filling, combine all ingredients except pecans in a large bowl. Whisk for 1 minute. Stir in pecans. Pour into pie shell. Place on baking tray. Bake on lower shelf until filling is set, about 60 to 70 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool.
- To make sundaes, cut pie into 8 equal slices. Cut each slice in half widthwise. Place the crust end pieces in 8 bowls. Top with a large scoop of ice cream. Top with remaining pie pieces and a blob of whipped cream.