Pickled Peach Salad With Pistachios And ParsleyRecipe By: Sarit Packer and Itamar Srulovich
Try this Pickled Peach Salad With Pistachios And Parsley recipe from the cookbook Honey & Co. At Home by Sarit Packer and Itamar Srulovich.
We spend the summer months hunting for the perfect peach. It is a very satisfying pastime and one with delicious results. We get three boxes of peaches daily at the restaurant throughout the season and we check each fruit individually. The ones that look and smell perfect, that have a slight give when you press them, are the ones that are good to eat right now. When the fruit is at peak condition, it’s hard to improve on this as a seasonal starter.
A more complex — but not at all complicated — option is this salad that can be eaten at any time of the day. The hint of anise from the fennel seed and tarragon gives the fruit an unexpected freshness and the buttery pistachios lend a touch of richness.
- 4 slightly firm peaches
- 200 ml/7 oz./scant 1 cup cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp whole fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 3 sprigs of tarragon
- 1 head of Little Gem lettuce, broken into leaves
- 60 g/2 1⁄4 oz. washed lamb’s lettuce or butterhead lettuce
- 3 sprigs of tarragon, leaves picked
- 1 small bunch of parsley, leaves picked
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g/3 1⁄2 oz./3⁄4 cup roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- A sprinkling of flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash your peaches and cut into thin segments — about 8 to 10 from each peach. Set in a large bowl. Warm the vinegar and 100 ml/3 1⁄2 oz./ scant 1⁄2 cup of water with the honey, fennel seeds, whole peppercorns and salt in a small pan over a low heat until all the honey has dissolved. You want the mixture to be warm but not boiling. Add the tarragon sprigs to the liquid, then pour over the cut peaches. Let them sit at room temperature for 1 hour, then cover with cling film and transfer to the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours and a maximum of 24 hours before serving.
- Scatter the Little Gem leaves, lamb’s lettuce and herbs on a serving platter. Top with the peaches and some of the pickling liquid, then drizzle with the oil and sprinkle the pistachios all over. Finish with a little sea salt and pepper and serve immediately.