April 10, 2020
Pork Chop Like At Kiki’s Taverna
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
“There’s a magical little taverna on the island of Mykonos that’s run single-handedly by a gentleman named Vassily,” says Queer Eye‘s culinary expert, Antoni Porowski. “To get there, you park your doorless Jimny rental 4×4 and walk down a path until you reach a little break in the hillside, and there is Kiki’s Taverna. Once you’re finally seated, order all of the five salads, and the Kiki’s Taverna pork chop. With porky juices dribbling down your chin and a stupid smile on your face, you can gaze at the mega-yachts floating in the water in the cove down below and think, ‘This is the life.’ This is not the official Kiki’s chop but one inspired by my memory of it.”
Yield: Serves 4
Plan Ahead: Pork chops need to marinate for 4 hours, or overnight.
Marinate Pork Chops
- Score fat along edges of pork chops (this helps them stay flat as they cook) and place in zipper-lock bag. Thinly slice 2 lemons into rounds. Remove and discard seeds. Add slices to bag with pork chops.
- In small bowl, whisk together honey, oregano, garlic, 1 tablespoon of oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water, and pour onto chops. Press air out of bag, then tightly seal. Rub outside of bag to mix marinade, squishing it around the chops to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or as long as overnight.
Cook Pork Chops
- Heat oven to 425°F, with rack in middle. Let chops stand at room temperature (still in marinade) for 20 minutes to take the chill off.
- Remove pork chops from marinade, scraping off any lemon or garlic pieces; discard marinade. Season on all sides with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Heat large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add remaining tbsp of oil to skillet, then add chops. Cook until bottoms are golden, about 5 minutes. Stand chops on fatty sides and brown the fat, about 3 minutes, then turn chops uncooked-side down.
- Place pan in oven and cook until internal temperature of chops reads 135°F on instant-read thermometer, 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer chops to large plate and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut remaining lemon into wedges. Sprinkle chops with generous pinch of pepper and salt. Serve with lemon wedges.