The Classic SteakRecipe By: Kristin Eppich
Flank doesn’t have a lot of marbling, so a great marinade is a must if you’re going for tender perfection.
- 1 1-to 1 1⁄2-lb. flank steak
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for grill
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Chimichurri, to serve
Directions Yield: Serves 4-6
- Score both sides of flank steak with a sharp knife about 1⁄4″ deep and 11⁄2″ apart in a diamond pattern to allow marinade to penetrate into meat.
- To make marinade, whisk together all ingredients. Place steak and marinade in covered shallow dish or sealable freezer bag and marinate in fridge at least 4 hours and no longer than 8 hours. Remove steak from fridge. Remove from marinade and let stand 30 minutes to bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Oil grill and preheat to high, about 500ºF. Season steak with salt and pepper, and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side or until medium rare (nicely charred on the outside but very pink in center). Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes on platter so juices are reabsorbed into the meat.
- Cut steak against the grain into 1⁄8″-thin slices to serve.