July 25, 2022
Ask A Chef: Maru Cacho’s dBurger
Sous-chef Maru Cacho of dbar by Daniel Boulud shares the secret to the dBurger.
Q: I recently had a burger at dbar in Toronto’s Four Seasons Hotel, and I think it just might be the best burger in the whole city. What makes it so delicious? — Catherine, Toronto
A: The secret to this burger is the perfect ratio of meat to fat: five parts top sirlion to one part fat. The high-quality Alberta beef is then complemented by nutty French Morbier cheese, homemade truffle aioli and, of course, a thick slab of bacon. “It takes three days of cooking and smoking to create our thick-cut, high-quality pepper bacon,” says Maru. “But it produces an amazingly smoky bite.” Finally, the sweetness of caramelized onions elevates the earthy flavors of the beef and bacon.
Send your questions to [email protected].
Yield: 1 Burger
- Form beef patty and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Lay patty on oiled barbecue grill over bed of hot coals on high heat.
- Cook burger for approximately two minutes per side, turning once, until browned. Remove when patty reaches 145°F, which will make for a juicy medium-rare burger.
Dress Burger And Toast Buns
- Now off grill, add two slices of French Morbier cheese and crispy pepper bacon. Place in oven for 30 seconds to melt cheese.
- Slice bun and lay halves cut-side down on grill, and cook until lightly toasted, 30 to 60 seconds. Spread truffle aioli on both sides.
- Add burger, lettuce, tomato, caramelized onions and grilled mushrooms between the toasted bun halves. Enjoy!