Blueberry Cinnamon Coffee Cake
This moist cake makes a delicious breakfast, brunch or dessert served with ice cream.
- 3 cups fresh Ontario blueberries
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold butter, in bits
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- In small bowl, stir together blueberries and half each of the icing sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In another small bowl, stir together flour and remaining icing sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts. Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift or stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, stir baking soda into sour cream.
- Stir half the dry ingredients into butter mixture.
- Add sour cream; stir in remaining dry ingredients.
- Spread in greased 9″ x 13″ metal cake pan, smoothing with spatula. (The batter is thick.) Sprinkle with blueberry mixture. Sprinkle walnut mixture evenly over top.
- Bake in 350°F oven until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes.