May 11, 2017
Chef Mark McEwan’s Lobster Eggs Florentine
Treat Mom to an elegant brunch this Mother’s Day with Chef McEwan’s recipe for Lobster Eggs Florentine. Pair it with a crisp glass of Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc for a midday meal worthy of a celebration.
Yield: Serves 4 people
- To make Bearnaise Sauce: Bring a small pot of water to a boil. In a separate small pot, combine diced shallot, 1 cup white wine vinegar and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then simmer and reduce until ¼ cup remains. Let cool slightly.
- Add a tbsp of vinegar reduction to a steel bowl with egg yolks. Place bowl over pot of boiling water. Whisk continuously to cook egg yolks until mixture has a mayonnaise consistency. Remove steel bowl from boiling water.
- Add melted clarified butter into egg yolk mixture in a slow and steady stream whisking briskly until it is all incorporated. Add a small spoonful of the vinegar reduction, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a few drops of Tabasco and Worcestershire to taste. Season with Kosher salt and ground black pepper and whisk in the chopped tarragon. Set aside.
- To make eggs: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tbsps white wine vinegar, reduce heat and keep at a low simmer. Slowly spin the simmering water with a perforated spoon, creating a whirlpool affect then crack eggs into the water. Cook until egg whites are firm but yolks still tender.
- To assemble: Toast brioche slices and top with 1/2 cup sautéed spinach followed by 1/2 cup of the lobster. Place 2 eggs on each slice of brioche. Top each egg with Béarnaise sauce and garnish with fresh dill sprigs.