May 8, 2020
Chinese Chicken Dumplings
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
This recipe is made using the fry-steam-fry method, which results in beautifully cooked dumplings with a bit of crispy lattice on the bottom.
Yield: Makes 50 dumplings
Plan Ahead: Filling should chill for 30 minutes to marinate.
Make Fillings & Dumplings
- In colander set over another bowl, add cabbage and sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt. Let sit for at least 20 minutes, then squeeze out excess water.
- Combine ground chicken, egg, oyster sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, five-spice powder, remaining 1⁄4 tsp of salt and pepper, and stir until uniform.
- Add reserved cabbage, water chestnuts, green onion and carrot. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- Cook small piece of filling to taste, and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place about 1 tbsp of filling in each dumpling wrapper, working with one wrapper at a time and keeping remaining wrappers covered under plastic wrap.
- Use mix of flour and water to seal edges closed. Be sure to squeeze out any air pockets.
- Pleat as desired and place on tray. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and reserve while filling remaining wrappers.
- Heat about 1 tbsp of oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange as many dumplings as you’d like to cook in skillet, flat-side down.
- Cook without moving for 4 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly brown.
- To create lattice, in bowl, combine water and cornstarch, reduce heat to low, pour carefully into skillet, and cover.
- Cook, covered, for 6 minutes, or until most of water is absorbed. Uncover pan, let water evaporate and cook until dumpling bottoms are crisp and cornstarch mixture forms into a crispy lattice, about 3 to 4 more minutes.
Make Dipping Sauces & Serve
- In bowl, stir together jam, lime juice, soy sauce, mustard, garlic and ginger until uniform. Add enough water to achieve dipping sauce consistency.
- In another bowl, stir together black vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili oil. Add honey, to taste.
- Place dumplings crispy side facing up on platter to show off lattice. Garnish and serve with dipping sauces.
House & Home April 2020