Grilled Zucchini With Fennel Fronds And Toasted HazelnutsRecipe By: Julia Sherman
“This is a really good recipe to serve family-style at a barbecue because it can sit out and only gets better the longer it marinates,” says Brooklyn artist-turned-blogger Julia Sherman. “Using a charcoal grill will give it a nice smoky taste.”
- 1⁄4 cup skinless hazelnuts
- 1 tsp plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs. medium zucchini (about 6), sliced
- 1⁄4”-thick lengthwise
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Sherry vinegar, to taste
- 1 handful tender fennel fronds
- Add hazelnuts to small frying pan over low heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Shake pan to evenly coat nuts with oil and toast until golden brown, stirring occasionally to ensure even colour. Transfer nuts to cutting board, and use broad side of a chef’s knife to smash nuts into large, rough pieces. Set aside until serving.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Brush both sides of zucchini with 1 tbsp of oil and season with pinch of flaky sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Grill until tender, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Golden brown grill marks should appear.
- Arrange zucchini on large, flat platter. Drizzle with remaining oil and sherry vinegar to taste. Season with additional pinch of salt. Top with hazelnuts and fennel fronds, and serve at room temperature.