June 14, 2018
Hummus With Charred And Raw Asparagus
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Home-cooked chickpeas are preferred to canned for this recipe but, if you’re in a rush, canned will do. Be sure to rinse the chickpeas thoroughly before preparing the hummus.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Make Tahini Sauce
- In medium bowl, mix tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and cumin. The mixture will become quite stiff.
- Gradually whisk in cold water until sauce thins and achieves consistency of slightly thickened cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In food processor, whirl chickpeas, Tahini Sauce, salt and cumin until completely smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lay half of asparagus on baking sheet, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until charred, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Chop roasted asparagus into bite-size pieces and reserve in bowl.
- Thinly slice remaining raw asparagus and add to bowl with roasted asparagus. Dress with sumac, chili flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper, mint leave and olive oil.
- In shallow bowl, spread hummus, leaving a well in the center.
- Spoon asparagus into well and drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil. Serve with flatbread.