Hummus With Charred And Raw AsparagusRecipe By: Philip Haddad
Home-cooked chickpeas are preferred to canned for this recipe but, if you’re in a rush, canned will do. Be sure to rinse the chickpeas thoroughly before preparing the hummus.
- 1 cup good-quality tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, grated on a microplane
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup Tahini Sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- Pinch chili flakes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 fresh mint leaves, torn
Make Tahini Sauce
- In medium bowl, mix tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and cumin. The mixture will become quite stiff.
- Gradually whisk in cold water until sauce thins and achieves consistency of slightly thickened cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In food processor, whirl chickpeas, Tahini Sauce, salt and cumin until completely smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lay half of asparagus on baking sheet, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until charred, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Chop roasted asparagus into bite-size pieces and reserve in bowl.
- Thinly slice remaining raw asparagus and add to bowl with roasted asparagus. Dress with sumac, chili flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper, mint leave and olive oil.
- In shallow bowl, spread hummus, leaving a well in the center.
- Spoon asparagus into well and drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil. Serve with flatbread.