Oats And Barley Bircher MuesliRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Flaked barley and old-fashioned oats have the perfect texture for making overnight oats. (Quick oats will become too mushy overnight and steel-cut oats will not be tender enough.) This recipe can be made up to 3 days in advance, if refrigerated.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup barley flakes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups almond milk, plus extra if needed
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, plus more for garnish
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, skin on
- 3 bananas
- 2 tbsp cocoa nibs
Prepare Bircher Muesli
- In 8-cup measuring cup or deep bowl, combine oats, barley flakes, lemon juice, water, almond milk, maple syrup, salt and cinnamon. Stir thoroughly to ensure all dry ingredients are exposed to liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
Assemble Bircher Muesli
- Remove oats from fridge and divide into 6 bowls. If oats are too stiff, stir in extra almond milk to loosen.
- Heat small frying pan over medium heat. Add almonds and cook, stirring often, until almonds are golden and toasted, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slice half a banana into each bowl. Sprinkle with almonds and cocoa nibs. Drizzle with maple syrup, if desired.