Portuguese White Bean & Kale Soup Recipe
New York restaurant recipe for vegetarian soup.
- 1⁄2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 small fennel bulb, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1-1⁄2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbsp fresh
- 1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked white beans (2 15 oz. cans), drained
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 5 or 6 cups loosely packed chopped kale
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Directions Yield: Serves 10
- In a small bowl, soak the sundried tomatoes in boiling water to cover.
- In a covered soup pot on medium-low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic, and salt and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the ground fennel and diced fennel bulb and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, thyme, and black pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, and water or stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are just tender. If the soup is too thick, add another cup of water.
- Meanwhile, remove the sundried tomatoes from the soaking liquid and coarsely chop.
- Add the kale and sundried tomatoes to the pot. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the kale is tender. Stir in the lemon juice. Season with more salt and black pepper to taste.