September 6, 2023
Roasted Squash and Halloumi Salad
“It fills me with much joy to know that locally made halloumi has become more commonplace in the Prairies these past few years. The first time I tried this cheese was when I was in my early twenties and visiting a friend who had just moved across the pond to London. It was love at first bite, and I have held this salty, firm cheese close to my heart ever since. It’s this grillable cheese that helps take this squash and apple salad to the next level. My backyard boasts a McIntosh apple tree, so that’s what I am using here. If you’ve got a fruitful tree at your house, feel free to use whatever you’re got hanging ripe and ready. Pears work well too!” – Dan Clapson
Yield: Serves 4
Make Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- To small jar, add garlic, salt, pepper, vinegar, honey, and oil and shake until emulsified. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Store vinaigrette in lidded container in fridge and use within 1 week.
Make Roasted Squash and Halloumi Salad
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place acorn and butternut squash and sage leaves in large bowl. Add 2 tbsp of oil and salt and toss to coat. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and roast until squash is tender, 22–25 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp of oil in large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add halloumi pieces, leaving space between each. Working in two batches, cook until golden-crispy on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Once cooked, transfer to paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Working quickly so cheese is still served warm, place squash, lettuce, apple, pumpkin seeds, vinaigrette, and maple syrup in large bowl. Toss gently to combine. Transfer to large serving platter or individual plates and top with halloumi.
Excerpted from Prairie by Dan Clapson and Twyla Campbell. © 2023 Dan Clapson and Twyla Campbell. Photographs by Dong Kim. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved