Grilled Halloumi SaladRecipe By: Amy Rosen
This healthy meal-in-a-bowl is a riff on Lebanese fattoush, but it has a lot more vegetables and is rounded out with some decadent grilled halloumi cheese (its star ingredient). Try out this quick and cool midweek meal recipe and enjoy it all summer long.
- 2 whole-wheat pita breads, opened up so there are 4 rounds, drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, stacked together, then sliced into wedges
- Olive oil for frying1 250-g pkg halloumi cheese, rinsed, dried well and sliced into 1⁄2″ pieces
- 4 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks 1 1⁄4
- 1 English cucumber, cut into large chunks
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp za’atar (optional)
- ¼ to 1⁄2 cup fresh herbs, such as parsley, mint, chives and basil, finely chopped, or a mixture of all
- Set oven to broil. Spread prepared pita wedges on 2 baking sheets and broil until crispy. Set aside.
- Drizzle a touch of olive oil in a large nonstick pan and fry halloumi slices until golden brown on each side.
- Toss tomatoes and cucumbers with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and za’atar, then toss with fresh herbs.
- Just before serving, break up warm pita chips and toss with dressed vegetables, then divide among 4 bowls. Lay grilled halloumi around the circumference of the bowls. Serve immediately so pita chips don’t get too soggy and cheese stays warm.