Sous Vide Steak With Herby Fingerling Potatoes And Horseradish CreamRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Once the sous vide steak is cooked and patted dry, you can cool it in the fridge for 5 minutes, which slightly cools the exterior, giving you extra time to achieve a good crust when searing at the end. It’s important to let your steak rest just as you would after grilling.
Watch Lynda Reeves and Kristen Eppich make this recipe on H&H TV.
- 3⁄4 cup 14% sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup full-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tsp white vinegar (omit if using prepared horseradish)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1⁄2″ thick
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 whole garlic cloves, skin on
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 lb. large fingerling potatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
Make Horseradish Cream
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients and let sit for at least 2 hours. If fresh horseradish isn’t available, use 1⁄4 cup prepared horseradish instead and omit vinegar. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Fill an 8-quart pot three-quarters full with warm water. Submerge sous vide machine in pot and heat water to 130°F.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in cast-iron pan over medium heat. Using back of knife, crush garlic cloves and add to pan. Cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from pan and increase heat to high.
- When pan has reached high heat, add steak and sear 1 minute per side. Once seared, transfer steak to plate and remove pan from heat. Allow oil to cool in pan.
- Add steak, garlic, thyme and cooled oil to freezer bag and massage steak to coat in oil. Leave bag unsealed.
- When water has come to temperature, sink all but top of bag in water to let air escape. Clip unsealed bag to side of pot. Cook for 1 1⁄2 hours for medium-rare steak.
- In large pot, cover potatoes with 2″ of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain water and toss potatoes with butter and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove steak from freezer bag and pat dry. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in cast-iron pan over high heat. Sear steak for approximately 2 minutes per side, or until dark and caramelized.
- Let steak rest 10 minutes. Serve with sliced potatoes and Horseradish Cream.