September 27, 2018
Chrissy Teigen’s Banana Bread
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Try this recipe for Twitter’s (and Uncle Mike’s) Banana Bread from Chrissy Teigen’s new cookbook, Cravings: Hungry For More.
Yes. This is THE banana bread. Perfecting this single recipe took me nearly a year. I tried a million different things. But! It turned out that putting the coconut inside left it with a subtle hint of sweet coconut goodness, vanilla pudding gave it a fluffy, moist texture I could never have imagined, and dark chocolate gave it a . . . I dunno, do I need to explain why putting in chocolate is a good thing? Can you toss nuts in this? Sure. Can you use a different chocolate? Why not. But I’m telling you—I did this every way humanly possible so you wouldn’t have to. And the hundreds of banana bread pictures I’m tagged in (daily!) prove this. And who is Uncle Mike, you ask? He’s a guy who simply loves this bread. That was enough for me.
Yield: Serves 12
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs and oil. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine well BUT GENTLY. I swear this came out differently when I used an aggressive electric mixer. Fold in the coconut and chocolate chunks.
- Grease and flour a Bundt pan (that means wipe a little grease all over the inside of the pan, dust it with flour and tip it upside down to shake out any extra flour). Pour the batter into the pan. (This can also make two 8 x 4-inch loaves, but it’s so much more moist in one Bundt pan!)
- Bake until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. (Test it with a toothpick at around 50 minutes.) Let it cool slightly in the pan, then use a butter knife to gently release the cake from the sides of the pan and around the inner circle, then flip it onto a plate.
- Let it cool, and cut it into slices. Rewarm them and serve them with salty butter!!