Cider CocktailRecipe By: Jamie Kennedy
Jamie uses ingredients from local producers to create this delicious cocktail. The candied apple garnish can be made a few days ahead as long as it’s completely dry and crisp. Keep in a single layer in a sealed container.
Dried Apple Garnish
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 small Red Delicious apple
- 1 (6) sugar cubes
- 2 drops (12 drops) Kinsip Hop & Sumac Bitters
- 5 oz. (3 3⁄4 cups) sparkling hard apple cider, ideally from The Old Third vineyard and winery, Prince Edward County
- 1 oz. (3⁄4 cup) Calvado
Make Apple Garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°F on convection mode (or 225°F in regular mode) and
line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In small pot over medium heat, combine water and sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Using mandoline, slice apple into very thin rounds through core. Add to sugar syrup and cook gently for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well. Place slices on prepared baking sheet and “dry” in oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until they have browned slightly. Cool and lift off tray with spatula. Using sharp knife, make cut in apple slices so they can hang on rim of champagne flute. Set aside.
- Place sugar cube in bottom of flute and squeeze 2 drops of Kinsip Hop & Sumac Bitters over top.
- Pour cider gently down side of flute, top with Calvados and garnish with dried apple slice.