May 3, 2018
Rise And Shine Buckwheat Waffles
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours, including resting time
Buckwheat flour adds a nutty richness to waffles and is a great source of fiber and magnesium. Once your batter has rested for 8 hours, transfer it to the fridge to stop the activity of the yeast.
Yield: Serves 6
Make Waffle Batter
- In large bowl, combine flours, sugar, yeast and salt.
- In small pot over medium-low heat, combine milk and butter and heat to lukewarm, about 100°F.
- Pour warm mixture into dry mixture and stir until flour is saturated. Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight, or for 8 hours.
Finish Waffle Batter
- Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron.
- Separate eggs. In large bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir yolks into waffle batter, then gently fold in egg whites.
- With pastry brush, lightly grease waffle iron with oil. Spoon enough batter onto iron to fill crevices. Cook until waffles are light and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes, or according to waffle iron instructions.
- Transfer cooked waffles to oven to keep warm and repeat with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle waffles with icing sugar and serve with berries and maple syrup.