June 28, 2019
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
A thin, 13-inch flat-bottomed pan is ideal for this recipe. If your seafood cooks too quickly, use tongs to remove it to a bowl, and return it to the pan when you cover the rice to steam.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- In medium pot, combine white wine and seafood stock. Remove shells from shrimp and add shells to pot. Bring stock to a boil, cover, turn to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Discard shrimp shells. Add saffron and keep warm.
Cook Vegetables And Rice
- Heat oil in paella pan on barbecue over medium-low heat. Add onion and green pepper, and sauté, stirring for 5 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden. Add garlic and smoked paprika, and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- To pan add tomatoes and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tomato juices have evaporated. Add rice and cook for 2 minutes, or until rice is coated with oil.
Add Fish And Seafood
- To pan add fish and thyme, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until just beginning to turn opaque. Begin adding reserved stock, starting with 2 cups. Shake pan (do not stir) and simmer for about 12 minutes, adding liquid around edges when pan looks dry.
- To pan add clams and mussels, and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Mix in peas and shrimp, burying shrimp in rice and flipping them as soon as they turn pink. Cook for about 22 minutes.
- Remove pan from barbecue and cover with foil or clean kitchen towel and steam for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.