Ask a Chef: Grilled Flank Steak With Salsa Verde Recipe
A spicy and juicy beef favourite from Victoria’s Catalano Restaurant & Cicchetti Bar.
Q: I love the grilled flank steak with salsa verde at Catalano Restaurant & Cicchetti Bar in Victoria B.C. The beef is juicy, and the sauce has a punch to it. I’d like to have the recipe for barbecue season. – Bruce, Nanaimo, B.C.
A: Chef Aaron Lawrence says flank steak is one of the tastiest cuts of beef, but it’s crucial to let it rest after grilling, so the juices don’t run out. Using anchovies in the sauce adds a serious hit of flavor.
- 4 8 oz portions beef flank steak
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp each: chopped sage, rosemary, thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, lightly packed
- 1 clove garlic, blanched, drained
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 3 anchovy fillets, patted dry
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice, salt, pepper, to taste
- To marinate steaks, place beef, oil, herbs and garlic in a freezer bag. Press out air and seal. Refrigerate overnight.
- To make salsa verde, place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until finely chopped. Transfer to container. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high. Remove steaks from marinade. Season with salt and pepper. Grill steaks until medium-rare, 3 – 4 minutes per side. Transfer to serving platter. Rest 5 minutes.
- Thickly slice steaks on a bias and against the grain. Drizzle with sauce.