Chicken ShawarmaRecipe By: Sam Sifton
Try this Chicken Shawarma recipe from the new cookbook, See You on Sunday.
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed, and minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Prepare a marinade for the chicken. Combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup of the oil, the garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in a large bowl, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- When you’re ready to cook, heat the oven to 425°F. Use 1 tablespoon of oil to grease a rimmed sheet pan. Add the quartered onion to the chicken and marinade and toss once to combine. Remove the chicken and onion from the marinade and place on the pan, spreading everything evenly across it.
- Place the chicken in the oven and roast until the chicken is browned, crisp at the edges, and cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to rest for a few minutes, then slice into bits. (To make the chicken even more crisp, set a large pan over high heat, add a tablespoon of oil to the pan, then the sliced chicken and sauté until everything curls tight in the heat.) Scatter the parsley over the top and serve with tomatoes, cucumbers, pita, white sauce, hot sauce, olives, fried eggplant, feta, rice — really anything you desire.