April 1, 2010
Cuban Sandwich Recipe
If you don’t want to spend the time to make the pork, you can buy it already prepared at some butcher shops. Or use pork tenderloin instead of shoulder, which will only take 45 minutes in the oven. Chipotle peppers are available canned in adobo (spicy tomato) sauce.
- Combine water, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns and garlic in a large pot over high heat and bring to boil to dissolve salt and sugar. Cool completely.
- Place pork in brine and refrigerate. Brine for 8 hours or overnight.
- Combine brown sugar, molasses and grainy mustard to make glaze.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Remove pork from brine and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover with glaze and place pork in a foil-lined roasting pan. Place in the oven and cook for 3 hours or until very tender.
- Combine mayonnaise, lime juice, red onion, cilantro and chipotle peppers to make chipotle mayonnaise.
- To assemble sandwich, spread two slices of bread with a thin layer of chipotle mayonnaise, then add grainy mustard to one slice. Place a slice of cheese on each slice, then sliced ham and sliced pork. Sprinkle with cornichons and red onion, then carefully close the sandwich. Butter the outside of the sandwich and place in a hot panini press or grill pan with a weighted lid and grill until bread is toasted and cheese is oozing. Repeat with remaining sandwich ingredients.