Scandinavian Shrimp SaladRecipe By: Eshun Mott
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
A fresh take on the classic combination of shrimp, dill and rye bread.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. small, salad-size shrimp
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tbsp celery leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Butter or gem lettuce leaves
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled Wasa or other rye flatbread crackers
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels. Toss shrimp with salt and baking soda, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In large pan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and a third of shrimp. Sauté for 1 minute, or until shrimp are pink and just cooked through. Remove from pan and repeat with remaining oil and shrimp.
- Add smoked paprika to pan for last 30 seconds of cooking, then return all shrimp to pan and toss until evenly seasoned. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- In small bowl, whisk together crème fraîche, mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest.
- In serving bowl, combine shrimp, diced celery and dressing, and toss gently.
- Add celery leaves and dill, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve shrimp salad on lettuce leaves, sprinkling rye crumbles over top.