January 16, 2020
Seared Duck With Prune & Endive
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
This is a great recipe for a cocktail party. Guests can assemble bites as they wish!
Yield: Serves 8
Prepare Duck Breast
- Straight out of refrigerator, gently cut crosshatched pattern into skin of duck breast — don’t cut into meat, just into fatty skin. This will allow skin to render its fat better.
Cook Duck Breast
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat medium cast-iron pan over medium heat. Season breast with salt and pepper, and place skin-side down in pan.
- Slowly render fat, draining liquid out of pan from time to time. Once skin is golden brown and fat has been rendered, about 12 minutes, flip over and top with garlic, thyme and butter. Use spoon to baste duck with drippings for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove meat from pan and place skin-side up on wire rack over baking sheet. Cook in oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until desired doneness is reached. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice off endive root end and separate leaves. Cover leaves with damp towel to keep fresh.
- On large board, arrange sliced duck and endive leaves in fan shape and garnish with chives. Place prunes in small bowl and serve with blue cheese, allowing guests to construct their own bites.