Grilled Moroccan Lamb With Honey Yogurt And Za’atar BreadRecipe By: Colin Tooke
“We were in Morocco this year, and those flavors were new to me, so I started playing around at home,” says Toronto restauranteur Colin Tooke. “It’s perfect for a summer barbecue. Most of the ingredients are easy to find, and it’s foolproof to make. You can switch to pork if you’re not a big lamb fan, but it’s not super ‘lamby,’ so it’s good for everyone.”
- 1 1⁄2 lb. boneless lamb shoulder
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 10 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, torn
- 3 tbsp harissa powder (or 3 tbsp harissa paste)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice, to finish
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp wild flower honey
Grilled Za’atar Bread
- 6 thick slices fresh sour dough bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp za’atar spice
- Drizzle of honey, to finish
- 1 tsp harissa powder, to finish
- Lemon “cheeks”
- Roughly cut lamb into 1-inch cubes, taking care to remove any excess fat or sinew. Cubes don’t need to be perfect; rustic is best. Place in large bowl.
- Add garlic, parsley, harissa, lemon zest, pepper, salt and olive oil to bowl. Massage flavorings into meat.
- Marinate in fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to medium-high. Thread lamb onto metal skewers, about 6 pieces per skewer. (If substituting wooden skewers, soak skewers 30 minutes in water first to keep them from burning.)
- Let lamb come to room temperature.
- Season lamb with salt and transfer to grill. Grill, turning occasionally, until charred and crusty on outside and still slightly pink on inside, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from grill and finish with splash of fresh lemon juice.
Make Honey Yogurt
- Whisk all ingredients together and let come to room temperature before serving.
Make Grilled Za’atar Bread
- Brush bread with olive oil.
- Grill to get crusty grill marks.
- Finish with dusting of za’atar spice.
Plate And Serve
- Serve lamb skewers atop heavy dollop of honey yogurt.
- Finish with drizzle of honey, dusting of harissa powder and cheek of lemon, plus grilled bread to soak up leftovers.