June 26, 2020
Crispy Grilled Lamb With Tart Fruit Relish
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Inspired by a recipe from Iron Chef Lynn Crawford, this grilled lamb is marinated in a flavorful mixture (trust the cola — it adds a lot!) and served with a seasonal fruit relish.
Yield: Serves 6
Plan Ahead: The lamb needs to marinate for about 5 hours ahead.
- In large sealable bag, combine cola, pomegranate molasses, shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes and thyme sprigs. Add lamb, seal bag and refrigerate for up to 5 hours.
- One hour before grilling, drain lamb, discarding marinade, pat dry and allow to come to room temperature. If some parts of leg are much thicker than other parts, separate meat into a few different pieces so they’ll grill to the right temperature.
- If using charcoal, light coals and place on one side to make two temperature zones. If using gas, preheat to high.
- Brush lamb with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill over high heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side (with lid closed) to develop crunchy crust. (If using charcoal, move lamb to cooler side and close lid. If using gas, turn one side to low, and place lamb on that side.)
- Grill on each side for 7 to 12 more minutes (for a total of 14 to 24 minutes), until internal temperature reads 135°F for medium rare. The lamb will continue to cook as it rests. Let lamb rest in warm place for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Make Relish & Serve
- In cast-iron or grill-safe skillet, heat olive oil and butter over high heat. Add onion and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until nicely browned with a few dark edges.
- Add chopped fruit and cook for 3 to 5 minutes to soften. Taste and balance fruit with a little vinegar or sugar, as needed. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat. Let cool and stir in parsley and mint.
- Slice lamb across grain, season liberally with flaky salt and serve with relish.