February 5, 2018
Milk-Braised Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 1⁄4 hours
Braising chicken, potatoes and onions in milk adds lip-smacking sweetness to this dish. The flavor is reminiscent of savory scalloped potatoes.
Yield: Serves 6
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil over medium heat in large, heavy-gauge, oven-safe pot. Working in batches, add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until deep golden. Reserve pieces on plate.
- Discard all but 2 tbsp oil from pan.
Brown Veggies And Layer
- Add onion to pan and cook 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Reserve onions and garlic on plate.
- Place potatoes in layer in bottom of pot, partly overlapping. Spoon onions and garlic over potatoes. Add white wine and chicken stock and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place chicken on veggies. Whisk milk with sour cream; pour into pot. If needed, add more chicken stock to come halfway up chicken. Add lemon juice and rind.
- Bring to boil on stove. Top with piece of parchment paper and cover with lid. Bake in oven 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and parchment and bake uncovered 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and golden. (Milk sauce will curdle and bubble; this is normal.)
- Transfer chicken to platter. Bring sauce and potatoes to simmer on stove until sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon and potatoes are very tender. Season with salt and lots of freshly ground pepper. Serve chicken with sauce and potatoes.
House & Home February 2017