October 3, 2019
Upside-Down Roast Turkey
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 5 1/2 hours
It’s important to use a roasting rack when cooking a turkey upside down, as the meat becomes very tender and can be harder to remove from the pan. This is a large turkey, as we tend to serve a crowd at my house, so be sure to reduce the cook time if roasting a smaller bird (about 15 minutes per pound for an unstuffed turkey).
Yield: Serves 10
- Rinse turkey thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Arrange oven rack in lower third of oven, then preheat to 350°F. Place turkey breast-side down on roasting rack in heavy-bottomed roasting pan. Rub with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover turkey with pan lid or foil and transfer to oven.
- Roast turkey, covered, for 2 hours. Remove lid or foil and baste with pan juices. Continue roasting uncovered for 1 1⁄2 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
- Insert instant-read thermometer into thickest part of thigh. Continue roasting and basting until temperature reaches 165°F, then remove from oven. Let turkey rest, loosely covered, for
30 minutes before serving.