Mary Be Kitchen’s Braised Chicken Chili RecipeRecipe By: Mary Be Kitchen
Get Toronto restaurant Mary Be Kitchen’s wholesome recipe for Braised Chicken Chili. Plus, see inside owner Sarah Huggins’ laid-back family home!
- 2 ½ lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 jar strained tomatoes (720 ml) or 1 large can crushed tomatoes (796 ml/28 oz.)
- 1 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 large or 2 small cans black beans (796 ml/28 oz. total), drained and rinced
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- Sea salt to taste
- Juice and zest of one lime
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in large dutch oven or other oven-proof pot set over medium heat.
- When oil is shimmering, add chicken thighs; cook the thighs until they start to get brown and crispy on one side, then flip them over and brown the other side. (It is ok if your chicken thighs are too crowded to get fully browned, as long as they get a little bit of brown on them.)
- Stir in onion and garlic and cook until they begin to soften.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper (if you want a bit of extra heat).
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, sugar, black beans and corn.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then cover it and transfer to a 350ºF oven for about 2 hours.
- Lower the heat to 325ºF and cook for another 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until chicken is very tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove chili from the oven and use two forks to shred the chicken thighs.
- Stir in lime juice and zest.
- Season with sea salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, diced jalapenos and avocado.