August 14, 2018
All-American Smash Burgers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Keep the meat loose when forming the patties, and don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly symmetrical — trust me, no one will care!
Yield: Serves 4
- Spread 1 tbsp mayonnaise on each bun, dividing evenly between tops and bottoms
Prepare Burger Meat
- In large bowl, crumble beef. Add salt and pepper and toss together.
- Divide beef into 4 equal portions, shaped into loose balls.
- Place grill-safe griddle or flattop grill on barbecue and preheat to medium heat, about 350ºF.
- Place buns on griddle, cut-side down, and toast until golden, about 2 minutes. Remove and keep warm in foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high, about 400ºF. Brush each burger with 1 tsp oil and place on griddle. With the back of a spatula, immediately smash meat to flatten.
- Grill until edges are caramelized, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and top each burger with a slice of cheese. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- Place burgers between buns and top with ketchup, mustard, pickles, lettuce and mayonnaise.