Carrot And Radish SaladRecipe By: Doug Penfold
This simple Moroccan salad uses unpeeled carrots for the best flavor. Watch your timing carefully when you steam the carrots, as the tips will cook through before the thicker, stem ends. Look for orange blossom water in the Middle Eastern section of larger grocery stores.
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water
- 2 tbsp grape seed or other neutral-flavored oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. medium organic carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
- 4 large red radishes, trimmed and scrubbed
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaves, torn
- In small bowl, combine orange blossom water, grapeseed oil and white wine vinegar. Season well with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In large pot with steamer insert, add water to depth of about 1 inch and bring to a boil. Add carrots and steam for 6 to 8 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cut carrots on the bias into 1-inch lengths (roll each carrot a quarter turn for every cut to achieve oblique shapes), and julienne radishes.
- Toss carrots and radishes with vinaigrette, sprinkle with mint and serve.