Cherry Tomato ConfitRecipe By: Travis Lett
This confit is somewhat luxurious and takes a bit of extra effort to produce, but the little pearls of tomato flesh are sweeter and more delicate than our regular Tomato Confit. We spoon these over grilled vegetables or fish.
- 2 pt Sun Gold cherry tomatoes, stemmed
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
Directions Yield: Makes 4 Cups
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Prepare an ice-water bath by filling a large bowl with ice water.
Use a paring knife to score a small X in the bottom of each tomato. Plunge the tomatoes into the boiling water for 20 seconds, and immediately transfer them to the ice-water bath. Work in batches, if necessary, until all the tomatoes have been blanched.
- When the cherry tomatoes are cool, remove them from the water. With your fingers, gently slip the tomatoes out of their skins and place them in a single layer in a baking dish. Pour the olive oil over the tomatoes and add the garlic, basil, salt, and thyme. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until the oil is hot but the tomatoes remain vibrant and whole. Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, completely covered with olive oil to prevent air from reaching them.