Mulled Wine PunchRecipe By: Brandon Olsen
The longer this punch stands, the spicier the mixture will be. Strain out flavorings when it tastes right to you, and warm gently before serving, if desired.
- 750 mL full-bodied red wine (ideally Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 750 mL ruby port
- 1 cup French brandy
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 2″ piece fresh peeled ginger, chopped (3 tbsp)
- Zest 1 navel orange, in long, wide strips
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 orange, cut in half and sliced, for garnish
Plan Ahead: Make at least 1 hour ahead to allow spices to infuse punch.
- In large, deep pot over medium-high heat, combine wine, port and brandy. Add sugar, raisins, ginger, orange zest, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom and star anise. Slowly bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar, then reduce heat to low and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour to let spices infuse.
- Transfer to heatproof punch bowl and garnish with slices of orange.