June 26, 2020
Slow-Roasted Tomatoes With Hot Honey
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
Top Chef Canada judge Chris Nuttall-Smith had these on a recent trip to NYC, at Misi. You can also make them in the oven, if you prefer.
Yield: Serves 4
- Halve tomatoes widthwise and place cut-side up in grill-safe skillet or pan. Drizzle with olive oil.
- With mortar and pestle, crack coriander and fennel, or place in zip-top bag and bash with rolling pin. Sprinkle over tomatoes and season with salt.
- Roast over very low heat (if using gas grill), or over indirect low coals (around 275°F) for 90 to 120 minutes, until tomatoes are shrivelled but still juicy in centers.
Make Hot Honey & Serve
- In small saucepan, combine honey and chili, and cook over low heat for 5 minutes (do not boil). Set aside to infuse.
- Remove tomatoes from heat, place on serving dish, drizzle hot honey over top, adjust seasoning and serve.