Cardamom Macarons With Blueberries And Cream CheeseRecipe By: Marit Hovland
Try this recipe for Cardamom Macarons With Blueberries And Cream Cheese from the cookbook Bakeland.
The bright color of the blue anemone, common in Norway in the spring, is a lovely sight on the otherwise brown forest floor. The petals are usually royal blue or purple, in stark contrast to the chalk-white pistils. Using a potato, you can easily print these pretty blue anemones onto macarons.
- 3⁄4 cup + 2 tbsp almond flour
- 3⁄4 cup + 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 medium egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 potato
- Purple or blue liquid gel food
- Icing sugar
- 1⁄3 cup plain cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups blueberries
- Sift the almond flour into a bowl and stir in the icing sugar and cardamom. Sift again into another bowl.
- In a separate bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the egg white at medium speed until foamy. Add the salt. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat at medium speed. When the sugar has dissolved and you have a thick meringue, add the almond flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to beat it into the meringue. When the mixture is smooth, transfer it to a piping bag.
- Pipe out the macarons onto a macaron baking mat or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, forming 21/4-inch (6 cm) circles (use this template). Tap the baking sheet with the macarons once against the counter so any big air bubbles rise to the surface and burst. Let the macarons dry for about 40 minutes on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F on the convection setting, or 275°F on the regular setting. Bake the macarons for 15 minutes in the middle of the oven (if you’re using a regular oven, they may take a few minutes longer). Remove and cool.
- While the macarons are drying and baking, you can get ready to decorate. Follow the instructions here.
- In a bowl, stir together the cream cheese, icing sugar, lemon zest, and juice. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe the filling onto half of the macaron shells. Place a circle of blueberries around the edge of each macaron before you top with the lid. Keep the macarons in the refrigerator until ready to serve.