Surf & Turf Flank SkewersRecipe By: Kristin Eppich
Cubing the flank steak exposes more surface area to the marinade, which helps thicker pieces get juicy and tender.
- 1 1-to 1 1⁄2-lb. flank steak
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for grill
- 2 tbsp drained prepared horseradish
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bunch green onions, white and light green portions only
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes (to prevent burning)
Directions Yield: Makes 12 skewers
- Cut flank steak into 1 1⁄2″ cubes.
- To make marinade, combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Place steak with marinade in covered shallow dish or sealed freezer bag and marinate in fridge at least 4 hours and no more than 8 hours. Remove steak from fridge and add shrimp to marinade. Let stand 30 minutes to bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Cut green onion into 1″ pieces. Remove shrimp and steak from marinade and pat dry. Slide 1 steak cube onto skewer followed by a piece of green onion then a shrimp. Repeat once more, finishing with a piece of steak. Repeat with remaining skewers, and steak, shrimp and green onions. Brush skewers with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Oil and preheat grill to high, about 500ºF. Cook threaded skewers 3 to 4 minutes per side or until medium rare (they should be nicely charred on the outside but very pink in center). Serve immediately.