Sesame-Ginger Buns With Lemon IcingRecipe By: Marit Hovland
Try this recipe for Sesame-Ginger Buns With Lemon Icing from the cookbook Bakeland.
Can you see the yellow glow when you hold a buttercup flower under your chin? If so, you’ll probably love these buns, filled with butter, sesame seeds, and ginger. They’re extra tasty topped with a bright lemon icing.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 2⁄3 cups icing sugar
- Yellow and green liquid gel food coloring
- Superfine granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp fresh yeast, or 1 1⁄2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
Filling And Decoration
- 3 1⁄2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 egg white
- Pearl sugar, coarse sugar, or crushed sugar cubes
- Sesame seeds
- 2⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Start by making the buttercups. Make icing with the egg white, lemon juice, and icing sugar according to the instructions here. Scoop out one third of the icing into a separate bowl. Color the remaining two thirds of the icing yellow, and the smaller amount green, adding a drop or two of food coloring at a time until the icing is the color you want. Here, you’ll find instructions for shaping the buttercups.
Buns, Filling & Decoration
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the melted butter and milk. When the mixture is lukewarm, crumble the yeast into the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cardamom, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the yeast mixture, then add the egg yolk. Work the dough with your hands to combine, kneading for about 10 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise for about 50 minutes.
- Stir together the butter, ginger, sugar, and sesame seeds in a bowl.
- When the dough has risen, gently knead it on a floured pastry board. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a square. Spread the filling on the square, leaving a ½-inch clean edge along one side. Begin rolling from the side opposite the clean side. Brush some egg white on the clean edge before sealing. Using a sharp knife, slice the roll in pieces about 3/4 inch wide. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the buns on the baking sheets, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let them rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Brush the buns with egg white and sprinkle them with pearl sugar and sesame seeds right before you bake them on the middle rack of the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- In a bowl, stir together the icing sugar and lemon juice. Spread on the cooled buns. Place buttercups in the icing (optional).